Monday, September 26, 2011

Marathon Road Trips

I've been conspicuous by my absence of late. Had to take a little trip. Drove to North Carlina and back. For my non-US readers, that's a trip of about 1,570 miles (2,526.670 kilometers). Drove down on Thursday. Took 13 hours. Grabbed a few hours of sleep at a roach motel, took care of my business and drove home. The return trip took slightly over 15 hours, due to bad weather and heavy traffic in some of the cities. It rained the entire way back, in some places so hard that I could barely see ten feet ahead of me. And what have I gained form this experience? The knowledge that I'm getting older. I can no longer handle these marathon road trips quite as easily as I used to. I'm tired. So tired that I keep nodding off. My back hurts. I have sharp, stabbing pains in both of my shoulders. In short, I'm still exhausted three days later! There's nothing in the world I'd love more right this minute than to crawl back into bed and sleep for the next three days. But no such luck. The world keeps turning, and I must be working cuz the bills aren't going to stop coming in. A hot cup of herbal tea and some ibuprofen for the pain, and on I go again. But I will think twice before I do another marathon road trip. At least, next time, I need a co-driver so that I don't have to do all of the work.

No comments: