Sun is coming up now. It's shining through the windows next to my cube. That's right, I have windows next to my cube. Floor to ceiling, wall to wall. Not sure yet how I managed to merit that one, but I am not complaining, believe me. I just closed the blinds a bit so that the sunlight wouldn't glare across my screens. Otherwise, I leave the blinds open and let the daylight pour in. I'm a great lover of daylight. As far as I'm concerned, you can't have too many windows and they can't ever be too big. I want the daylight pouring into my house, especially in the winter. I think part of the reason is because my mother was one of those people, when I was growing up, who kept the blinds closed and the curtains drawn all day long. Our house was often in a sort of twilight. I never understood that though. I need the light in my house, and the more the
better. I wish I lived in one of those houses that Philip Johnson designed back in the 1950s. The ones that were ALL glass. Those were so cool. It was like living IN nature, like the barrier between the inside and the outside was completely gone. My mother would have had a coronary if she had had to live in something like that! Why, all of those people would be staring in at you all of the time. Of course, if the house is way out in the country on a large plot of ground with no other houses nearby, one is forced to ask who could be there to stare in at you? The Keebler elves? The downside of a house like this - there's always a downside to everything, isn't there - is that you would have to be a pretty awesome housekeeper. I mean, there's no storage at all in this thing, no place for all of the detritus of life. After all, where would you keep the phone book and the crayons and the cat box? Perhaps a nice compromise would be one of the Cliff May houses. They had a nice combination of glass and walls. They were still quite open, the living room, dining room and kitchen all sharing the same space, but the bedrooms were separate and so afforded better
privacy for whatever goes on in bedrooms. But the Cliff May houses still had loads of floor to ceiling windows, and I could really go for that. All that light flooding the rooms. Still, they would again require someone who was an awesome housekeeper. That's just part and parcel of these old open-plan designs. Everything is right out there in the open! And once again, storage is scare! You would have to keep just about everything in the basement, if you live somewhere that you can have a basement. My own house has plenty of big windows, which is one of the reasons we chose it. There are two picture windows in the living room and a large set of windows in the dining room as well. It's an open plan, not unlike the Cliff May houses; although, it's not quite as open as they are. In fact, our kitchen is pretty well hidden from the living room. But that's not too bad. The other reason we chose our house was it's location - half way up a hillside on a dead-end road in a mostly rural area. That make it possible for us to keep those lovely windows un-curtained most of the time. Which lets in all of the glorious sunshine that I love so much. Which makes life a happy place.
better. I wish I lived in one of those houses that Philip Johnson designed back in the 1950s. The ones that were ALL glass. Those were so cool. It was like living IN nature, like the barrier between the inside and the outside was completely gone. My mother would have had a coronary if she had had to live in something like that! Why, all of those people would be staring in at you all of the time. Of course, if the house is way out in the country on a large plot of ground with no other houses nearby, one is forced to ask who could be there to stare in at you? The Keebler elves? The downside of a house like this - there's always a downside to everything, isn't there - is that you would have to be a pretty awesome housekeeper. I mean, there's no storage at all in this thing, no place for all of the detritus of life. After all, where would you keep the phone book and the crayons and the cat box? Perhaps a nice compromise would be one of the Cliff May houses. They had a nice combination of glass and walls. They were still quite open, the living room, dining room and kitchen all sharing the same space, but the bedrooms were separate and so afforded better
privacy for whatever goes on in bedrooms. But the Cliff May houses still had loads of floor to ceiling windows, and I could really go for that. All that light flooding the rooms. Still, they would again require someone who was an awesome housekeeper. That's just part and parcel of these old open-plan designs. Everything is right out there in the open! And once again, storage is scare! You would have to keep just about everything in the basement, if you live somewhere that you can have a basement. My own house has plenty of big windows, which is one of the reasons we chose it. There are two picture windows in the living room and a large set of windows in the dining room as well. It's an open plan, not unlike the Cliff May houses; although, it's not quite as open as they are. In fact, our kitchen is pretty well hidden from the living room. But that's not too bad. The other reason we chose our house was it's location - half way up a hillside on a dead-end road in a mostly rural area. That make it possible for us to keep those lovely windows un-curtained most of the time. Which lets in all of the glorious sunshine that I love so much. Which makes life a happy place.
No comments:
Post a Comment