And all of this brings me to that big question of the meaning of life. What is it all about? Is it a headlong race to check off boxes on my own private To Do List? Is it the accumulation of wealth, the gaining of more money than I can ever hope to spend in one lifetime? Maybe for some it is, but not for me. There was a book that came out a couple of years back that looked at the people who live very long lives. Turns out that there are about seven spots around the globe where people routinely live well into their 90s and beyond. Sardinia, Italy. Ikaria, Greece. Nicoya, Costa Rica. Okinawa, Japan. Loma Linda, California. A couple of others. The researchers discovered that there were several factors that all of these groups of people had in common:They also walked a lot, didn't worry about what time it was, and took naps every day. You'll notice that there isn't a bucket list in that list. Nevertheless, these people live long, productive and very happy lives in spite of their poverty and their very simple living conditions. They don't1) They worked outdoors.
2) They didn't smoke.
3) Their diet consisted mainly of fruits, vegetables and grains, with small amounts of high protein meat.
4) They had a close knit circle of friends and family who supported each other.
5) They had a strong religious affiliation (i.e., they believed in God).
accumulate masses of personal property. They don't drive fancy cars or live in McMansions. They don't spend their days plugged into their cell phones and iPads and their nights glued to the TV or computer screen. They don't have some arbitrary list of things they feel the need to accomplish before their lives are done. The live, they work, they love, they raise their families, they grow very old, and the die happy. What more, I ask, can any person really want of life than that? Well, I would like to see the Eiffel Tower. And Venice. I want to go to Venice. And.... Guess maybe I need to prioritize my own life while I'm at it.
No comments:
Post a Comment